36 weeks! Hospital stay – Days 2 & 3


So after the NST monitor yesterday, where both boys showed they have strong, healthy heartbeats and don’t stop moving for a second and I am having ZERO contractions, I laid around in bed until lunch and then took a shower. Really, hospital life is more exciting than I could have ever hoped.

I took a shower after lunch and discovered 1. It was a really good thing I brought my own shampoo and conditioner because this hospital provides NOTHING. 2. This means I should have brought body soap too. 3. The face soap I thought I had put in my bag turned out to be make-up remover, which means I washed my entire body in make-up remover yesterday. I suppose that should have left me less oily at any rate, right?

There are two shower stalls and in the shower I met a lovely first time mother who had just given birth the day before. She looked amazing! Much better than I did after giving birth to either Sara or Amelie. And so refreshed! I was so jealous. I want to look refreshed! I am praying that once the boys are out, we have a good cuddle and a feed, I can send them off to the nursery for a few hours and I can sleep and sleep and sleep! Because lord knows I am not getting any sleep now, and it sucks! When I lay awake at night, all I think is “How will I muster up the energy to get these guys out if I can’t get any sleep?” and the world is just a better, happier place when you’re rested. Being so exhausted and sleepy makes me crabby and negative and really not want to give birth.

A friend of mine who lives about an hour away texted to say she had an appointment in Nagano later in the afternoon and could she stop by before her appointment? I was overjoyed! We’re really not that close, but having anyone come to visit is such a welcome distraction! And she brought chocolate!!! And the most adorable pairs of socks for the boys. She couldn’t stay long but it was nice to know she was thinking about me and so nice to have someone to talk to. I managed to get a brief nap in before Akinori called around 4 to say he was on his way to pick up the girls, and would then go home to get body soap and the other stuff I had asked for, and that he had been to Docomo and picked up a new wi-fi router and it was faster and better than the one before. Yeah! Internet!

I went back to my room to stare at the clock basically. I read some of one of my books, I played around on FB a bit, but I was so tired, and sleep wasn’t coming. I was really excited about seeing the girls. I spent the rest of the time eavesdropping on the conversations going on in the other patients’ beds in my room. When I first arrived there was only 1 other woman, whose baby is still in the NICU I’m pretty sure. She’s still pumping around the clock, and she goes away for an hour or so at a time in the morning and afternoon to visit with her baby I think. The woman in the bed next to me came in a few hours after I did with severe stomach cramps. Turns out she is 12 weeks pregnant with appendicitis! Poor, poor woman! So she had surgery yesterday evening. I’m pretty sure my reference to the smelliness in my post last night was her pooping, and it was totally inconsiderate and ungracious of me and I feel like shit for writing that on my blog, but it was insomnia induced meanness, and you’ll have to forgive me because that’s the only excuse I have. Another young pregnant woman was also admitted yesterday evening with threatened pre-term labor. From the sound of it, she is pregnant with #2 and works nights? Or some nights? She is really worried about her first child as there’s really no one but her husband to take care of the child and he works nights too? but for right now they want to watch her in hospital. Everyone still lives with their curtains closed ALLLLLL day long.

Akinori finally showed up at 6 with the girls, just as dinner was ready. My husband and his perfect timing. I was so happy to see them! He brought custard filled taiyaki, so we all had dessert before dinner in the common room and I got lots of hugs and cuddles and kisses in for about 20 – 30 minutes and then they left and I had my dinner. The food isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It’s not great by any stretch of the imagination, and everything kind of tastes the same, but at least it’s palatable, and so far I’ve been able to eat everything that’s appeared on my plate, and I can be a pretty picky eater.

After dinner I hooked up the new router, and it IS fast! And the connection is awesome! And I am so happy I can watch TV and movies now! YEAH!!! Recommendations welcome! I chatted to N again before bed and then attempted to get some sleep.

It was close to 10 when I got into bed and maybe just after 11 when I finally fell asleep? I managed to stay asleep until 2:30, but I once again woke up in so much pain. My back is so fucked up it’s not even funny. I’m thinking I might call my own acupuncturist/chiropractor who makes house calls and see if she can come to the hospital because I can’t deal with this for much longer. I am really truly afraid the lack of sleep and the pain are going to make labor impossible. I mentioned not being able to sleep to the head nurse last night when she came around to introduce herself, and she said they would see about getting me a softer mattress this morning. Unfortunately all of the softer mattresses are in use, so a nurse came around with an extra bed pad. That is just not going to cut it, I’m afraid. 😦 She said as soon as a softer mattress was available though they would give it to me. Let’s hope someone gets discharged soon!

I finally fell back asleep sometime between 4 and 4:30 and actually slept until just before 7!!! I was still a bit groggy when I woke up, but getting 2.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep felt pretty good. I had breakfast and then a nurse came around with my hospital card and told me I needed to go downstairs to the outpatient OB/GYN department for my regular ultrasound check-up and internal exam. It’s amazing what these last few days of laying around have done to me. I was so exhausted by the time I got back to my room! And that was basically just walking back and forth to the elevator.

I had my ultrasound first and both boys are head down still. I doubt they have any room to go anywhere fun except out at this point, so I’m not too worried about that anymore. Baby A was measuring 2537g, which is only a little over 100g from last week and Baby B somewhere around 2200g, about 100g increase for him too. Their growth has slowed down quite a bit, but the fact that Baby A was measuring over 2500g is great. The dr. was really pleased and said they can come anytime now, but he promised not to stimulate anything until after Tuesday of next week. And when we did the internal he once again had a good laugh because my cervix is sealed tight. Kind of makes me wonder what I am doing in the hospital, but I guess I am relieved to be here in case my water does break, or I go into labor in the middle of the night and we have to worry about dragging the girls out of bed and getting everyone in the car. No messes to stress me out. No laundry. Well-balanced meals 3 times a day. No refereeing the girls’ fights. The doctor did say that he was going to start stimulating my cervix after Tuesday though. I’m guessing that means sweeping the membranes? I don’t mind that so much. I just don’t want any drugs to get labor started.

I came back from my ultrasound and got hooked up to the NST. Once again, both boys super genki, no contractions. No surprise. I have a feeling I am not going to have anything exciting to write about this week at all. Gonna be a lot of boring blog posts about my insomnia probably and my fear of giving birth to TWO enormous babies. Maybe I’ll see if the shower is open. I stink.


About Brenda in Nagano

Originally from Chicago, I knew I was destined to spend the rest of my life in Japan the moment I set foot in the country at the tender age of 16. However, I was quite intent on spending that rest of my life in a major city with a full on career, until my Japanese Prince Charming came trotting down from the mountains of Nagano to sweep me off my feet and whisk me away, turning my whole life plan on its head. Two months after moving to Nagano I gave birth to our little Princess Charming, so now I am officially a SAHM and teach a little belly dance on the side.

4 responses »

    • Thanks! New mattress today, finally. We’ll see how I go. And yes, the no talking thing was pretty lonely, but I’m in a new room now and everyone is very friendly and constantly chatting. Much, much better 🙂

  1. Hello Brenda
    I am a grandma but will never forget giving birth to three babies, fortunately one at a time. Your posts are in no way boring be they about lack of sleep, curtains drawn around beds all day (how weird), awful back pain etc. Please keep them up as long as you feel able. Hospitals and giving birth seems so diffrent to-day that I’m finding your blog very interesting. I do hope they’ve been able to find you that softer mattress and that you get some decent sleep tonight..
    Margaret M (in Oz)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s